Nestopia is the current king of the NES emulation hill. It uses highly optimized cycle exact emulation, allowing it to run titles that rely on precise timing, many of which break under inferior emulators. This accurate emulation does come at a cost; Nestopia requires a minimum of a 600MHz machine for full speed; but if you have one, this the best available NES emulation for Mac.
- Support for 201 different mappers.
- Famicom Disk System (FDS) emulation.
- Support for the Zapper Light Gun.
- Support for the five most common additional sound chips.
This software can be used with Emulator Enhancer, a shareware add-on that includes:
- Support for USB joysticks and gamepads.
- Support for full screen mode.
- Support for audio effects.
- Support for opening recent games quickly.
- Much much more.
Nestopia is an open-source NES/Famicom emulator designed to emulate the NES hardware as accurately as possible, and is considered the most advanced NES emulator. Originally for Windows only, Nestopia has been ported to the Mac OS X and Linux operating systems by Richard Bannister and R. Belmont.